Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fic Review: Bella, the Lioness by BellaMadonna


On Fan Fiction


Description: Bella Cullen is a 159 yr old vampire; Edward Masen a 17 yr old human. Their love has existed through time. This story is PURE ROMANCE with a little something extra. They prove that true love rises above all obstacles.

Don't ask me how I found this story. I think I was fic diving in by looking at other author's favorites, but for the life of me I cannot remember who. I have often enjoyed AU fics where Bella is a vampire while Edward is a human. They are actually some of my favorites in AU because I love how the personalities of these characters change the plot from the typical canon story.

What I liked about it: Instead of simply writing a typical vampire meets human typical high school romance where the human's blood sings to the vampire and yet they fall in love against all reason, *yawn*, this author added a layer of history that was intriguing to say the least. Bella was changed by Carlisle in 1864 after losing her family to the War between the States. She worked closely with Carlisle as his nurse and made a connection with a man that became one of Edward's ancestors. I got a sense that this connect was meant to pave the way for the all consuming love that Bella and Edward would share.

The author also had an interesting take on vampire powers, giving Bella new powers that make her character unique to anything else I have ever read. I relish stories like that in which the author changes things up. And there is a twist that you would never see coming! The author uses characters, (like Jake, Edward's best friend and Charlie, Edward's uncle) in unique ways. Overall, I enjoyed this story for the timeless romance and the sense that these characters were destined to be together.

If I am being honest with you, I believe I would have flounced this fic by chapter 7 if I had not seen the large number of reviews it had. The author wrote this story over the course of two years and I easily observed a marked improvement in her writing over time, making me glad I stuck with it through the beginning chapters. This story is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment