Saturday, March 6, 2010

Fictionista WitFit Daily Challenge~ 3/05/2010 Race

After reading hundreds of stories in fan fiction, my mind has wondered, as minds often do, and I have outlined a few plots along the way, which I have filed away to work on (or not) at a later time.  After reading one of said plots, my friend not so subtly told me to start writing because my stuff is just as good as the other stories out there in the fandom. 

My problem is that I have what could only be called "writer's stage fright".  I truly don't know why that is.  I am not nervous when I write here on the blog, but the thought of putting my work up alongside other truly amazing authors in Twilight Fan Fiction makes me practically break out in hives.  I am not a eloquent public speaker and publishing my work feels an awful lot like standing in front of my English class during my Senior Year giving a speech about Sewing (but I can't sit and imagine my audience naked, because for all I know they may actually be reading in the buff).

I need to put on my big girl panties and start putting my work (and myself) out there.  It is in this vein that I decided to take on the Fictionista WitFit Daily Challenge and use the prescribed writing prompts to get my feet wet.  Every day I receive an email detailing a word prompt or other media resource to spur my imagination.  For instance, today's word is "Race".  My job is to write something that incorporates that word somehow, or interpret it in some way.  Many people that write take part in this challenge only write these as individual mini stories or drabbles. 

My intention is to use the prompts to inspire me as I create a multi-chapter story.  I have no idea what the prompt will be for the next day, so I have no clear path or outline for the story.  It feels like I am writing a choose your own adventure book, and in some ways I am.  I only know one thing about the story.  I know what the ultimate goal is but I don't know how I will get there.  I will tell you that it is based of the song from Nickelback called "Gotta Be Somebody".  Will you take this journey with me?  I would really appreciate constructive criticism and comments to help me shape and improve my writing. 

So without further ado, here is my first entry~

Original or Derivative (fanfiction): DERIVATIVE
Rating: M
Notes: The is not edited or beta'd. In this series, I am utilizing the Fictionista WitFit Daily Prompts to write a continuous story. I have no idea where it is going.
Genre: AH~Edward & Bella~Drama/Romance
Disclaimer: All copyrights, trademarked items, or recognizable characters, plots, etc. mentioned herein belong to their respective owners. No copying or reproduction of this work is permitted without their express written authorization.
Prompt: Word Prompt~Race

EPOV

Sweat. Straining muscles burned with the ache of exertion. All while the rushing wind whipped past me, tousling my hair and tickling me senses. My eyes were focused straight ahead and did not deviate from the course I was set on. With the pace I had set, I did not have time to look around me to enjoy the autumn leaves as they reflected off the Charles River or the sounds of children's giggles as they fed bread to the geese on a nearby park bench.

I don't know why I was in such a hurry. I love the crisp air that is Fall in Boston, but as my legs pedaling propelled me forward, I could not help myself but race against some unknown force.

Just like everything in my life, I was in a hurry as I navigated the bike trail. I was never a patient person. From graduating from high school early so I could start at Harvard, to finishing law school and landing my dream job as a defense attorney at a top firm. I knew what I wanted and was determined to get it. I sometimes wonder where my life would have taken me had I not been in a rush to get where I was going?

Maybe I would have spent more time at home with my sister and brother before I started my higher education on the other side of the country. Maybe I would have traveled over summer breaks instead of taking summer classes to finish school early. If I had not been in such a hurry to attain success I might have enjoyed my time in college, spent more time building lifelong friendships, perhaps even taken up rowing.

If I wasn't so impatient, I may not have been in such a hurry to settle down. And maybe I would have never let her have the opportunity to break my heart. I guess you could say that I grew up with the perfect example of what great marriage looked like. I knew from watching my parents, Carlisle and Esme, that love can last a lifetime. I also saw that it took time and effort on both of their parts to keep their passion for each other alive. I wanted to love and be loved by someone, I wanted someone I could trust with my heart, I wanted someone who could finish my sentences and someone that I love unconditionally, forsaking all others.

In my haste to find that all consuming relationship, I chose a woman who was passionate and fiery, determined and beautiful. She was full of energy and a firecracker in the bedroom. Carmen was everything I thought I wanted in a woman. Apparently I was not what she wanted in a husband.

Nearly six months had passed since the time she left me shattered and broken. In that time, I had thrown myself more into my work, if that was even possible. I put up a wall around myself and did not let anyone in. My family had tried on more than one occasion to break down the walls, but I shut them out and soldiered on, determined to make partner. If I could not be successful in love, at the very least I could have success in my career. But not even the distraction of work could mask how truly lonely I felt.

I slowed my pace and took a deep breath. Coming to a stop, I swung my leg over my bike and and rolled it over to lean it up against a nearby tree. I took off my helmet, ran my fingers through my hair and wiped the sweat that covered my face. I sank down and leaned my back against the tree and stretched my legs out in front of me. I looked out across the water and watched boats pass my by. I could not remember the last I took time just to sit down and enjoy the view.

Maybe it was time to stop being in such a hurry. I had so much to be grateful for, but I didn't take the time to enjoy it. I had a lovely family who were there for me even when I pushed them away. I had a successful career that brought me no joy. I had a beautiful house that did not feel like a home. I contemplated what would make me happy and came to the conclusion that I needed to go home.

It was time to quit racing through life and take time to enjoy the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment